In the last century, kitchens have gone from being very small spaces with one purpose only to becoming the central area of a home. The average person today spends an estimated total of 3 years of his life in the kitchen, which is no small number.
If you’re the type of person who loves looking at new kitchen appliances and have always dreamed of starting a kitchen remodeling project but haven’t had the money to be able to do it, here are some tips on simple economical ways to remodel your kitchen.
1) Replace the lighting. New lighting makes a world of a difference and can give a room a completely different look. Pendant lights which hang over-head have become extremely popular in the last several years. Built-in lights which are housed in the ceiling or on the walls are also quite popular, but make sure you set up separate light switches so you have the ability to change the mood of the room without having all the lights on or off.
2) Replace kitchen cabinet knobs or handles. Knobs and handles become tarnished easily in kitchens and switching our the knobs or handles can give the affect of all new cabinets without the hassle involved in buying new cabinets.
3) Refinish your kitchen cabinets. Kitchen cabinets are not too expensive but you’ll save money refinishing them yourself. There are many DIY (do-it-yourself) websites which can give you simple instructions on a DIY project such as doityourself.com’s wide range of projects.
4) Repair your appliance exteriors. Metal ovens and fridges get a lot of use and can become discolored and stained. In most home repair stores and even in car repair shops you can find heavy duty metal cleaner which can handle the majority of the stains.
5) Paint the walls. A fresh coat of paint can make your kitchen look years younger.
6) Install new flooring. Laminate flooring or tiling can be quite cheap and modernize kitchens which haven’t had a kitchen remodeling project in fifteen or more years.
7) Change your kitchen decorations. A new set of kitchen towels, oven mitts, a table cloth, salt and pepper shakers, plates and silverware may be the last thing you think of when you think of kitchen remodeling, but these accessories are used daily and new modern accessories can change the feel of a kitchen easily.
Article written by Audrey Ledoux, creator of kitchen remodeling website Wild Wood Remodeling LLC.